Monday, April 11, 2011

War On Terror (Food) Continues

Complacency is a dangerous thing, especially in the world of food allergies. Having had a clear run of no reactions since the beginning of December, and three passes of previously dangerous foods, I was hopeful that we were slowly but surely saying goodbye to our familiar cycle of vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Not so. Thea can eat wheat, broccoli, pears, white potatoes and plums, and maybe corn - still under investigation in my crime lab that others call a kitchen. Yesterday at Whole Foods I was excited to find a vanilla wafer cookie that consisted of wheat, vanilla, cane juice and palm oil. Admittedly I'd never trialled palm oil or cane juice, but she has had sugar and survived. Thea loved the cookie, I loved being able to give it to her,  Maya loved adding to her plethora of snack options. An hour and a half later, Thea exploded in a bloody, mucous mess - it's impossible not to be graphic with FPIES. Today, she has puked her guts out, and I have cried my eyes out. Maya ironically laughed at us both. Five is going to be our lucky number for a while, crime lab is shutting up shop until I can muster up the courage to trial something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment